Studies have shown that excessive use of technology by children is causing them to have emotional and mental problems such as depression, anger and lack of empathy. Further, children are exhibiting more fatigue and stress symptoms as a result of excessive “screen time”.
Dr. Victoria Dunckley, in a well-written article, explains how technology is affecting children. She states that:
- Screen-time disrupts sleep and desynchronizes the body clock.
- Screen-time desensitizes the brain’s reward system.
- Screen-time produces “light-at-night.”
- Screen-time induces stress reactions.
- Screen-time overloads the sensory system, fractures attention, and depletes mental reserves.
- Screen-time reduces physical activity levels and exposure to “green-time.”
Considering the above, children should be engaged by parents and other care-givers in ways that do not involve excessive use of technology.