Labour Market Impact Assessments (“LMIA”) are necessary for most work permit applications. LMIA applications are made by employers who are seeking to hire foreign nationals.
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) determine if LMIA must be issued or not and endorse the same to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) who issue it. The factors considered by the ESDC for endorsing an LMIA application are:
1) The impact of hiring the foreign nationals on the Canadian Labour Market;
2) The wages and perks offered to the foreign national;
3) The availability of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to fill the position;
4) The usefulness (knowledge and skills) of hiring foreign national; and,
5) The potential of employment to a foreign national in creating jobs for Canadian citizens and permanent residents