Being a parent is hard. Being a single parent, harder. Being a single parent of a toddler, even harder. We would like to share a few tips for discipling toddlers for parents and caregivers:
1. Instead of repeating what the toddler should not do, state what behaviour is acceptable. For instance, instead of saying, do not jump on the couch, state, you may jump on the floor. This makes the conversation positive and the toddler less irritated.
2. Teach by example by letting them follow the lead of their siblings or other members of the household in doing chores. They will be more apt to doing the chores and will be pleased with themselves for doing something others can do.
3. Be hands-on and walk with the toddler in the direction you want them to go to or do the task with them that that you want them to do.
4. If they make a mess, ask them to clean up after themselves. It allows them to understand the relationship between their actions and their consequences.
5. Have fixed and consistent rules so they understand the parameters of appropriate behaviour. Do not give in to their tantrums or unreasonable requests. Wait for them to come on the same side as you.
6. However, also give in to their reasonable requests if they do not conflict with your agenda.