Dr. Susan Krauss Whitbourne points towards five red flags in a relationship that usually precede a separation or divorce:
1) Family or friends not liking your spouse;
2) Getting a lot of excuses from you spouse that don’t ring true or general untrustworthiness;
3) Relationship became serious before you were ready to get serious;
4) Spouse having very few friends due to a lack of capacity for forming good relationships;
5) Spouse being a heavy substance or alcohol user. A constant pattern of getting drunk or high suggests that the spouse may be dealing with deeper psychological issues that will only continue or get worse in the future.